Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Evolution. Whether you believe that a God in Heaven created you fully formed in His own likeness, to rule wisely over the entire world, or whether you believe that the human body is the product of millions of years of refinement and subtle metamorphosis according to the needs and demands of the modulating ecosystems, you must believe that this body is an amazing thing. An honorable thing. A thing to be grateful for.

Ode to My Toe

you are hairy and fat
but i don't try to shave you
or exercise you
or starve you
i may stub you

but that is on accident.

you are covered by a shell
that grows to fast
and unevenly
with some blackness
i may cut it

but that's so i don't cut myself.

oh toe i wish i took care of myself
as much as i took care of you

oh toe i wish i painted myself in the brightest colors, too
so we could be twins in the hottest red

oh toe i wish i could pinch myself and giggle
and think of the little piggly-wiggly toes

and not whether i'm a pig.
___________________________________________________________

So I'm in the process of trying to figure out a process for my post-grad acting life. My ideal would be to attend the Summer Shakespeare Intensive Training at Shakespeare & Co. and come home to a nice admin job, preferably at a place where I can make enough money to soon go out to Chicago (and see and do lots and lots and lots of sexy sexy improv).

I'm in the middle of preparing for a mini-show on February 23rd that will be like The Vagina Monologues for eating disorders and body image issues. And no, it won't be like Ensler's The Good Body, because I could care less about the narrow-minded worries of some old woman whose breasts are sagging. For now, I'd like to focus on the men and women who are cutting years off of their lives and killing so many of the sweetest parts of themselves.

Come to think of it, old women do a lot of cutting too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home